the good, the bad, the sheer

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Colombia



I've just returned from 6 days in Colombia, and it was without a doubt my favorite trip I've taken in the past year. It was my first time in South America, and a quick 5 hour flight whisked me to one of the most beautiful countries I've seen yet. The Andes flanking Bogota, the bougainvillea tumbling from the quaint buildings in Cartagena, the sounds and colors of the streets and the churning, changing weather patterns kept our senses super busy.

While there are stark contrasts between the rich and poor, most of the people we encountered were kind, helpful and happy. And contrary to its reputation as a scary place (chock full 'o kidnappers, violence, drug hawkers and "Colombian Devil's Breath"), I've seen more violence on a weekend trip to Boston -- and been offered drugs much more freely in places like Jamaica and Mexico than I was in Colombia.

Bogota and Cartagena were incredible, but I wish I had more time to explore the rest of Colombia. I'm convinced that it will become the next "hot spot" for backpackers and upscale vacationers alike quite soon, and I can't wait to go back someday.

No comments: